What can I do to help reduce Nursing Home Abuse in Tennessee?
Many people may believe or feel that they are powerless to help protect their loved ones and friends against nursing home abuse or neglect, but this is not true. There are a variety of ways you can help to reduce or even stop the abuse in nursing homes without even needing the help of a Tennessee nursing home attorney at The Higgins Firm. Legal action should only be considered when all other options have been tried and have been unsuccessful.What Are Some Nursing Home Abuse Prevention Ideas and Tips?
There are many ways to help reduce and prevent nursing home abuse and neglect not only in Tennessee, but also across the country. Some of these tips may include but are not limited to:
- Visiting often during different times of the day (i.e. morning, evening, holidays, weekends)
- Question care of patient or loved one
- Suggest training program ideas to the staff
- Notifying Tennessee Nursing Home Authorities
- Being Actively Involved in your loved one's care
Many times nursing home abuse or neglect occurs because the staff may be improperly trained or overworked. If you visit often and question the care of a loved one, they are more likely to improve the quality of care that your loved one receives or at the very least take notice of it. If you are an active member of your loved one's care, then you should have the nursing home authorities notified of any concerns. This will give everyone, even the nursing home staff a chance to speak up and it will help improve the conditions of the nursing home.What Authorities Can I Contact to Report Nursing Home Abuse or Neglect?
Many people may want to report or abuse but may not know where to go or who to call. You can contact any of these agencies and authorities for help about nursing home abuse. They are:
- Tennessee Board of Nursing Home Administrators
- Tennessee Adult Protect Services (APS) at 1–888–APS–TENN
- Knoxville, TN APS at (865) 594–5685
- Chattanooga, TN APS at (423) 634–6624
- Nashville, TN APS at (615) 532–3492
- Tennessee Ombudsman at 532–1572 for Nashville–area nursing home abuse
- Tennessee Ombudsman at (800) 264–0904 for nursing home abuse outside the Nashville area
- Tennessee Department of Health at 1–800–778–4504
These agencies may file a claim of nursing home abuse or neglect, or may give the nursing home a citation because of the abuse report. Nursing homes may also be given fines and closed until their conditions improve under the law. Tennessee law requires that any person capable of reporting abuse should do so.
Many of these businesses can take your call 24 hours a day or allow you to record a message and return your call within one business day. If you are still unsure of how to report nursing home abuse, you can always consult an experienced nursing home abuse attorney at The Higgins Firm. Fill out our short nursing home abuse or give us a call toll–free at 1–800-705-2121.